THE CPR GALS
Wilderness First Aid
Wilderness First Aid
This course gives individuals a foundation of first aid principles and skills
to be able to respond to emergencies and give care in areas
that do not have immediate emergency medical services response.
This includes wilderness and remote environments, including urban disasters,
such as earthquakes and hurricanes.
This course is Boy Scouts of America approved.
* Learn the difference between wilderness first aid and standard first aid
* Learn the importance of immediately establishing control of the scene and starting the primary assessment
* Learn the importance of doing a secondary assessment
* Learn about calling for help from a delayed-help perspective and evacuation considerations
* Learn field assessment for injuries to the head
* Learn the types of abdominal pain and discomfort including gastroenteritis (stomachache) and diarrhea
* Learn the the basics of an allergic response and its treatment and prevention
* Learn about altitude illnesses including acute mountain sickness (AMS),
high altitude cerebral edema (HACE) and
high altitude pulmonary edema (HAPE)
* Learn the types of burn injuries
* Learn field assessment of a person with a chest injury
* Learn the contents of an adequate wilderness and remote first aid kit, and its uses
* Learn the different types of heat-related illnesses
* Learn the mechanisms of heat loss versus heat gain
* Learn field assessment for injuries to bones and joints
* Learn about shock and discuss the stages of shock
* Learn the signs and symptoms of heart attack
* Learn control of serious bleeding
* Learn briefly the general sequence of events during a submersion (drowning) incident
* Learn how lightning can cause injury and/or death
* Possess current adult CPR/AED certification
* Be at least 14 years of age on or before the last scheduled session of the course
* This is a group class. A minimum of 6 people is needed to hold the class
Course Length: approximately 16 hours (over 2 days)
Certificate good for 2 years
Please contact us to get information or book a class.
Please give us an idea of what your needs are, and your phone number,
and we will get right back to you.